Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"New" Syndrome


You've got a new stuff, especially it's really expensive or pricey.  You're so thrilled to have or own it.  At the same time, you've overloaded concerns about it.  You treasure it so much that you are extra cautious while using it as you want to keep it as close as brand new condition.  In case anything happens to it, you'll protect it with everything within your power.  You'd rather get your hands or your feet or any part of your body hurt instead of letting anything happen to it :P

Sometimes, you're kind of hesitant when you let others to use it.  Under unavoidable circumstances, when you let others to use it, you're loaded with tons of worries as if they might break it.  When they don't treasure and use it the way you would, it will make you so miserable.  At times, without even being aware of yourself you have already confronted others or show your upset with your opinion as if they commit a crime to you.

Oh yeah!  You will get past with all these miseries at one point but you're at hype at the very beginning of your ownership :D

If all or some of those coincide with one of your experiences, welcome to my world!  You have so-called "New" syndrome: a syndrome we get for "New" stuff where we extremely treasure.  LOL :P

Every once in a while, I get this "New" syndrome.  When we just got our brand new house, we (especially I) were initially so reluctant to pin a needle on the wall even though I wanted to hang some pictures or paintings on the wall :P  Believe it or not!  It took us quite a couple of months to finally come to a decision to pin a hole on the wall :P

My uncle told me a story that one of his friends even slap his kids' hands whenever they try to put them on the wall as he was afraid of leaving some dirty marks on it.  Oh NO!!!!  It was just way too much.  I guess I can't beat him :P

But check this out though!  When we just got our cars, they were brand new of course.  I was initially really reluctant to set a foot on it as I was concerned of making the brand new carpets dirty.  And when I close the door, I would try as gentle as possible.  When I heard his action to shutting the door was louder than mine, I would start complaining him for slamming the doors.  At that point, I was even hesitant to drive it to long distance as I didn't want to increase mileage of my car :P

With that said, I got some better stories than mine though.  One of my previous coworkers would only drive his car for "to-and-fro" short commute from his house to the office.  For any vacation or long distance drive, he would rent a car to save mileage on his car.  :P  My hubby was like "Why so?  I don't get it!!!" when he heard about it.

And another good one here: my big boss in Singapore once let us sit in his Toyota Camry for a group lunch.  When we'd got to the destination, he told us not to come out yet. Then he jumped out of his car and rushed to the door and open it for us.  I was the last one to come out so I thought I should close it.  You didn't want to let your boss close the door for you, didn't you?  So I pushed the door (gently) and it didn't even close properly.  He was like "Oh, NO, NO!!!! Slowly!!  Slowly!!! You're hurting my car door!!"  "WOWWW!!!!"  and "OMG!!!!"  Those were all I could say.  LOL :P

Well, owning a car in Singapore back then was really costly.  Public transportation in Singapore is so good so the government made it so pricey to own a car to save the limited parking issue on the island.  Therefore, if you own a car, even a Toyota Corolla, you're something in Singapore.  Owning a Camry is up to another level and it makes one a proud owner so I can't really blame him of course :D

Have your ever run into a situation when one of your precious belongings is dropping?  You'll try to catch or save it all you can.  For some cases, you might save it but your hand or you leg or a part of your body ends up getting hurt.  But right at that moment, the instance response from our brain was just to save it all you can at all cost.  If you couldn't for some reasons, it'll just ruin your day or your mood.  I'm in no doubt fall into that category of course :P

He always tries to tell or explain me to shun myself from that so-called "New Syndrome".  He said that those were just simply the material illusions and none of them are much more precious than ourselves.  He asked me whether those materialistic things are much more important or whether loved ones and others around us are more important?  Protecting them by hurting oneself or hurting the feelings of loved ones or others around us, does it really worth it?

Well, all his words apparently really make sense.  I get it.  But as you know, good things are hard to follow and it takes time :P  To change one's mindset and mentality need time and practice.  I'm getting there and I'm much more better now than where I used to be before.

One of my new year's resolutions is to get away with "New" syndrome.  Happy New Year everyone and hope you're also free from "New" syndrome if any!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment