Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holly Jolly Christmas


Jolly Old Saint Nicholas,
Lean your ear this way;
Don't you tell a single soul
What I'm going to say,

Christmas Eve is coming soon;
Now you dear old man,
Whisper what you'll bring to me;
Tell me if you can.

...

Those are the lyrics from one of the Christmas carol pieces Sophie has been practising on her piano.

It was so funny last night that Sophie rushed inside the house in the quest of surprised presents from Santa as soon as we got back home from our vacation.  When she couldn't locate any, she felt extremely upset, and went inside the closet in their room, closing those sliding mirror closet doors and sat down in that dark corner with a sad face wearing a huge disappointment.

When I tried to comfort her with presents we got for them, it didn't do it of course as they weren't from Santa she pouted.

I didn't think that it would be such a big deal so I didn't wrap and prepare the gifts and secretly leave them at a corner of our house (since we didn't plan to decorate Christmas tree this year due to the limited space in our current place) before our vacation.  My bad!!

Being a non-Christian and coming from a country where Christmas is not widely celebrated (it held at least true until when I was there), it was so amazing to learn about the beliefs of Santa's existence by kids in this country at the beginning.  What Christmas to me back then was that it was merely something which was celebrated by my Christians neighbors.  Even when I was in Singapore, I visited Orchard Road and enjoyed staring at those beautiful vast Christmas decorations every year and it was nothing more than that for me.

I used to think that Santa doesn't have anything to do with me until when girls starting to learn about Santa at their preschools and make me leave a cup of milk with a cookie under the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve.  And I learnt to secretly take a bite of cookie while girls were falling into asleep to convince them that Santa really came and left presents for them on that night in our house :D

Apparently, I'm getting there but there's always rooms for improvements, don't you think? :P

Once there got this famous news here that a teacher was in trouble for breaking the news to her students during the class that Santa was fake.  Not only parents of the students of the teacher, but also almost all parents nationwide got furious after hearing the news.  Even my boss back then had a very upset conversation with others in the office including me by blaming the teacher for being so clueless.

All those young kids who are small enough to buy the idea of Santa's existence, St. Nick or Mr. C is really there making a list of nice and naughty to make sure whom to be given presents and whom would be excluded from his list.  And on Christmas Even, Santa will be visiting kids all over the world on his flying raindeers and is sneaking into house to house via chimney to leave the presents to good and well-behaved kids.  And every kid is so concerned of not getting a gift from Santa.

It was so funny when Sophie was so concerned how Santa would come into our house back in Sacramento which doesn't come with chimney.  I had to convince her that modern houses don't have chimneys and Santa would use the garage for those which don't have one.

To me, it wasn't until recently which I learnt that St. Nicholas who is a Greek Christian bishop who likes to secretly leave money or presents the poor kids on Christmas Eve is somehow linked as a Santa.  Thanks to Wikipedia! :P

Well, I'm learning more and more as you see :D  And for Sophie & Michelle, we're now celebrating Christmas every year just like everyone else here.  Christmas is such a huge festival and celebration over here for family time, reunion and get-together, just like what Chinese Lunar New Year is for Chinese.

Girls told me that Christmas is one of their favorite holidays.  Perhaps what they really love is presents they got by then I guess, LOL :P

About last night's incident for Sophie's big disappointment (Michelle is easygoing and she was disappointed too but wasn't as bad as her big sister), I was lucky enough to cover it up for my bad.  Am I being such an ignorant mom who didn't take serious for the fact that any kid here is so much concerned of not getting a present from Santa because they don't like to be regarded as bad kids?

Well, I of course got my own excuses just like everyone else.  :P  Sophie even asked me before our trip whether Santa actually exists and Christmas gifts actually come from Santa or from us?  I didn't really say "Yes" or "No" and my answer was really vague.  But I thought she was smart enough to figure the truth out at that early age :P

Anyway, my lucky helper is that they sometimes didn't behave during the trip (Oh, yeah! When they become bored after sitting long hours in the car, I learnt from my experiences that naughty and misbehaved kids are unavoidable :P) so I had to threaten them that Santa might retract his presents to them due to their mischief.

I think Sophie buys it and the same goes to Michelle for breaking iPad during the trip.  Probably that's why she was easier than her big sister last night as she knows her guilt.

Oh, well, I guess that there's always one good thing out of all madness or bad, right?  I just hope that girls will behave better from now on so that they won't be excluded from Santa's list for presents next year :P  At the same time, the lesson learnt for me is that secret presents on Christmas Eve are so important and it's a "must-do" on my list from next year on (until they are old enough to take the truth about Santa) :D

Other than that, we really got a good white Christmas on San Jacinto Mountain until the evening and a family movie time at home after getting back home.  And Sophie ended the night beautifully by playing Christmas Carols on her piano for us (Yes! Her big disappointment didn't last that long.  Thanks God!  :P). And it's holiday too, yeah? :D

Merry Christmas everyone (or perhaps Happy Boxing Day?  :P) and I hope everyone had a nice Christmas too!

No comments:

Post a Comment