Monday, November 26, 2012

My Black Fridays' Shopping Craze

Another Black Friday had just passed.  It's the Friday following the Thanksgiving Day.  And it's the biggest holiday shopping season for shoppers here as tons of one of the best deals are being revealed. 

For my very first year in the States, I just wanted to have an idea of a Black Friday so we went out to look around.  We happened to go to BestBuy which is one of the most crowded places for Black Friday every year.  I still remembered that moment when I was able to grab the last tub of CD R/W discs which comes with about 50 discs for just $1.99 or so.  But when we headed to the cashier to make the payment, the line was about 100m long.  That was the biggest crowd or longest line I've first ever seen in the States.  And yes, we gave up buying it as it didn't worth to wait for hours to check out. 

And after that incident, I kept a distance from Black Friday and I felt it was not my cup of tea. A few more years of Black Friday quietly passed by me. 

It was until when we pulled a trigger for our brand new house.  It was when I was thinking to load our new house with new stuff, I started to flip the coin and was getting to start falling in love with Black Friday.  We got tons of good deals during then and it was a very fruitful Black Friday. 

Since then my Black Friday shopping madness had been unfolded
.  Whenever it's approaching to Black Friday, I'm always excited by monitoring and digging deals.  Every year, I got a pretty long wish list or To-buy list.  While I still couldn't beat those who tent at BestBuy a day or two before sales start in the cold winter weather so that they could grab those limited quantity door busters before they are gone, I have my own judgement so I usually head out to the place where I can handle the crowd.

I still remember that dawn when I would be hunting down the deals by myself for the first time in my whole life for that early in the morning.  He needed to stay home to take care of the girls.  It was still dark outside and I was kind of scared that I would be robbed or stopped by bad guys on the way to the shopping center.  But my determination to deals hunting and my love of shopping embraced my braveness so I went out for shopping alone anyway.


To my surprise, when I got to the shopping center, it was all bright everywhere.  And when I entered the store, all shopping carts and bags were gone.  Oh, yeah!  It was so silly of me who was so scared with own thoughts or imagination that it would be really deserted just by being myself alone or with a few other people who would be waiting in the dark outside the store to get its door opened.  I learnt that when it says the door will open at 4:00am I should be there by around 3:00am so that at least I would be able to get a shopping cart :D

Just like that, Black Friday has been giving me excitement before it comes and satisfaction after it has gone.  :P

Another remarkable Black Friday was I had gone wild shopping since the mid night.  Going in and out of one shop to another and hopping from one shopping mall to another, my shopping craze just went on and on.  By the afternoon, I became no exhausted providing that no sleep was taken for Thanksgiving night.  And it took me not only Friday evening but also the whole following Saturday to make all the sleep deprivation up.  And my long weekend was simply gone just like that.  Since then I made up my mind that I would not repeat such hysteria again.

My this year's shopping resolution is not to buy anything which I would not need no matter how good the deal is.  Plus, I don't really have much desire for Black Friday shopping craze this year.  And the good thing about this year is that most of the big retailer like Walmart, Target and BestBuy started out their sale as soon as it hit 12:00am mid night of Wednesday, which was considered to be the first minute of Thanksgiving day.  Most of the deals were available online and I managed to get almost everything I needed via online.

When I saw Black Friday shopping frenzies via the evening news of this year's Black Friday, I was so glad that I didn't even have any possibility of one of those victims.  I just feel like it's just not so worth to risk your life or pick a fight or argument with someone else just to save some $$$. 

I did Saturday and Sunday shopping and it was equally fruitful as well.  I think most of the retailers are getting smarter in the sense that they keep most of Black Friday's deals ongoing so that people who do not like to beat the crowd like me also got a chance to grab some good deals.  This way they will have a higher sales volume as well.  I called it as an equally fruitful holiday shopping as I got one Coach bag, one Michael Kors bag, one Ann Taylor sweater, some stuff from Victoria Secret's and winter clothing for girls from Macys.  And most of my holiday gifts shopping were done as well.  Most of all, I'm glad that I didn't buy any junk this year.  Bingo!

And I really like Cyber Monday as well.  Online shopping is much easier and I personally prefer it a lot.  Just need to be careful to stick with reputable sites or retailers to prevent oneself from Identity Theft.  The only downside of Cyber Monday is that most of all are back to work and I couldn't get the most out of it, LOL :P  Hmmm.... How I wish that Cyber Monday should be stipulated as one of the holidays too.  Well, that's just my wish list.  May be that's what I gonna ask from Santa this year and wish that Santa will really grant my wish.  Only if I'm a few decades younger and believe in the existence of Santa like all of those kids here though :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment