Monday, July 23, 2012

Live like we're dying

'What is the human being's funniest characteristic?'

We are in such a hurry to grow up, and then we long for our lost childhood.
We make ourselves ill earning money, and then spend all our money on getting well again.
We think so much about the future that we neglect the present, and thus experience neither the present nor the future.
We live as if we were never going to die, and die as if we had never lived.'

By Paulo Coehlo


As soon as I've come across this quote, it falls right into my favorite list instantly.  That exactly reflects us as human beings.  So well said and it's never more true than it is.

Almost every day, our lives are so busy like a bee and we're rushing and it's which makes us ignore to enjoy what we have. We worry too much and the stresses we got make us feel unhappy.  The more I read those lines, the more they make sense to me.  In addition, its underlying meanings are in align with Buddha's teaching as well.

How many of us got time to enjoy the natural beauty surrounding us?  Those wild colorful flowers, spectular canyon view, beautiful blue sky on fine days, pleasnt bird chirping, etc.


The swing set up in our patio is perfect to kill a part of my available time, probably with a cup of tea and a book.  But the truth is that I just happen to sit briefly on it during last night after all these months passed by.

And I used to bring stresses or unhappiness at work to home.  Then I learnt that what's the point?  Left those unhealthy situations at work behind you once one has gotten out of it.  And don't let it spoil the time with your family. I know, I know. It's easier to say than get it done practically.  For sure, there gonna be some pebble effects of it but don't make it a big impact on your personal life.  What I've learnt about another upside of doing so?  Not being confused and stressed will get me resolved it better the next day.

To me, what this quote is teaching is that:
1) about the appreciation of what we currently have and feel it everyday
2) experience and enjoy what is right before you, worry less and reduce stress and live the life to the fullest

I'm sure that everyone could turn it into their own interpretations and those simply are just mine.  Bottom line to me is that live like we're dying or live like there's no tomorrow.  In other words, if one is dying, he or she will try to appreciate and enjoy every single thing he is getting. Don't you think?

Everything all makes sense.  But the most difficult thing is to practise them.  It's always easier to have it said than to have it done or practised.  How many things in our lives which make absolutely sense?  But a lot of times, what do we do?  Our perception and application might not necessarily fall into the same bucket.  How many of us know our bad habits but can't live without them?  :P

I think that taking the first step is always most difficult.  After taking a first initiative, following subsequently doesn't seem to be that difficult.  We just need to embrace the first step.  Those lines really hit me.  BOOM and my revelation followed.  I'm on.  Are you with me as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment