Monday, April 25, 2011

A Junkie Me

First of all, don’t take me wrong that I’m a narcotics addict or such.  It simply means here that I’m a fan of all junk mails. :P

Well, we received plenty of junk mails almost every day.  A lot of them are the store Ads and some of them are the discount coupons.   I receive them even more when I go and sign up or subscribe for the Ads and coupons. 

In Singapore, there got such junk paper buyers who often wander around our apartment, so-called HDB.  When Papa and Mama were with us, they sold them to them.  The money received was very minimal but it recycled the paper, cleaned up the space and at least it was better than nothing I guess.  Perhaps that was what Papa might be thinking back then.  If it was him then he might just dump them into the trash right away.

Over here, I keep some of them so that I could use them to lay it under the oil container during the cooking.  I did a lot of Chinese cooking and those papers prevent the oil spill to our granite countertops by absorbing it.

Better yet, the fun part is with those coupons.   When I got a little bit of spare time, I screened them: throw some of them in the recycle bin, keep some of them for the aforementioned purpose.  And of course, those coupons are specially separated out for my use.  :P

That’s how my bag becomes so bulky and it’s what he usually being referred to as a garbage bag.  When you open up my bag, you will see tons of coupons which really contribute to the weight of my bag.  Sometimes, it even make me to think that the hand straps of my Coach bag gonna be broken due to its heavy weight?  If that actually happens then should I complain to Coach or just to myself?  LOL :P When the kids asked me to keep their stuff when we are outing, it’s getting even heavier. 

Anyway, I have to clean them up from time to time to throw those expiry ones.   When I realize by then that some of the really good deals’ deadlines have been passed, I feel so pity that I have just missed the good deals.  :P

He usually points out to me that those coupons are the main killers of our unnecessary budget spending.  I’m really stingy on other perspectives, except the expenses for the girls but whenever there’s a deal, I’m on. 

For instance, when you take a peek at our pantry, you will be amazed to see that it’s all full even though it’s considered to be a large pantry compared to some other houses.  I stock them up whenever I see something is on sales.   He usually jokes with me that we could survive for more than a month in case of a disaster or no opportunity of grocery shopping at all. :P

And it reminds me of how many stuff we have wasted when we were migrating to here from Singapore.   I asked Papa and Mama to bring whatever they like along with them but they could not take much as they had the plenty stuff already.  So, I sold some of them.  And I gave some of them away.   I wish I could have donated the rest of them but it didn’t happen as it was a sudden thing for us to come over here and the schedule was so tight.   Thus, no way but I ended up just throwing most of them away. 

So many shoes and sandals, clothes, some furniture, groceries, some kitchen utensils, bath supplies and at not least some of my stuffed animals.  I just had to leave them there with the owner of our apartment.  I felt so stingy to let them go.  Especially for my huge Winnie-Pooh which is about the size of a 5 year old or even bigger than that.  I saw it during the sales Singapore Expo but didn't manage to get it.  After going back home, I managed to talk with him and he bought it for me from Expo.  We made another trip which actually was a long ride from where we lived back then, just to get it.  Too bad that I could bring it here :(

But probably the good thing out of it might be was that the lesson learned: not to buy a lot and junks next time.

I was pretty good at doing so when we had just got here.  But after years, perhaps the lesson learned might be fading away over time.  And I’m going into the same direction again. 

There is a Burmese saying: "A crooked leg will go crooked over time no matter how you try hard".  Am I proving it to be true? LOL :P

Oh well, at least I now recall it and am trying to refresh my mind with the lesson learned again.  I’m making a vow to myself that I would not be buying unnecessary extras and will stay not to get attracted by those junks, discounts, sales or coupons.   I’ll be saving more money from now on.  It’s never too late to change, yeah?  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment