Monday, March 14, 2011

Kindergarten Headaches!

Today is one of the important days for us.  Tonight is the lottery night.   Well, we're applying Sophie to the charter school right around the corner of our house.  This school has 900+ API (Academic Performance Index).  It's really a very good API and probably one of the schools which manages to get such a high API around this area.  Usually, most other schools in this area only has 700+ and 800+ API.  I had toured the school and I like it a lot as well.  This main reason and also the proximity to our house really make me wish that Sophie could get admitted to it.  However, they have to run the lottery system since they received more than 300 applications where only 100 spots are available.  So, it's not sure whether she could get in there or not.  I'm praying hard and crossing  my fingers.  Oh my God! It's almost the same feeling like I'm waiting for my exam result to come out. 

My head is spinning with a series of thoughts as well.  If it wouldn't work then, what would we gonna do?  In fact, we've already started exploring other options as a backup plan.  But none of them have really been materialized yet.  A lot of options and a lot of information: Private or public school? School day or full day?  Extended care?  Montessori or non-Montessori?  And Spanish immersion school or Chinese immersion school?  Sophie's preschool teacher is convincing to us that she would be a perfect fit for the Spanish immersion school since her Spanish is superb and she could pick a new language up so easily.  Yeah, I know: knowing another language definitely is a plus.  As a matter of fact, I had learnt from one of my co-workers recently that there is a Chinese immersion school not far from where I work and it's a nice school as well.  As Chinese is on our top list as her second language, should I be considering this school as well?  Also school in Sacramento or school in Davis?  Schools in Davis have a better academic performance than those in this area.  If we want her to get enrolled in schools at Davis then we would need the inter-district transfer approval.  However, the down side is that we would only be notified of her admission to the school much later than those of Davis residents as she is not its resident and not from that district.  And yes, there is the possibility that she could not get admitted to the school we want and we might end up like enrolling her to the school they assigned to us at the end.  I'm learning as we go and doing all these new things.  It's really stressful indeed.  What's a headache!

Meanwhile, I'm feeling so anxious and nervous for tonight's lottery outcome at the charter school.  And it has already occupied my brain with all those "What if".  I'm wondering that all the first-timers parents of kindergartners will be in the same situation as we do now?  Uh, oh...  this might just be the beginning and there might be more serious and similar headaches along the way.  The long road is ahead us and this is just for her kindergarten and I'm having so much stress and headaches already.  May be I'm making it bigger than it seems? 

At the same time, it really reminds me of my mom who used to wait for me at the street corner with so much worries and concerns and could not have her dinner if I came home late from my classes and my work.  I always used to tell her not to be like that and there was nothing to get worried about me.  When she kept doing it I just could not get it except I felt pity for her.  She told me that she just could not help and when I became a parent I would know what she was talking about.  Mama is right.  This is really happening to me now.  Alright, welcome to the parenthood!   Probably someone out there with the similar experience and in the same situation could be on the same page with me?

And I'm crossing my fingers for tonight!  And yes, I'm praying hard and may Buddha bless me!  Please do not make my kindergarten headaches worsen!

No comments:

Post a Comment