Monday, March 28, 2011

Post-Birthday Thoughts


When I was a kid, one of the most desired things on my list perhaps was to have my birthday celebration.  If possible, I wanted to get a grand birthday party with the cake every year.  I thought that it was just a once-a-year celebration and I wanted it to be specially celebrated with Papa, Mama, family members and friends.  I wanted to be specially treated on my birthdays.  The birthday cake was not very common on birthdays where I grew up.   But still there were some who had a birthday party along with the cake on their birthdays.  Therefore, having a birthday cake on my birthday might probably was another secret craving which was silently lying at one of the corners of my heart.

Papa and Mama were always busy and they always tend to forget my birthday.  In fact, Papa was that kind of person who didn't believe in any birthday celebration.   To be more accurate, he didn't bother for the family dinner where everybody waited each other and started only when everybody was present.  Sometimes, I came home late and I ate by myself so lonely.  Of course, there were maids who were serving me but I thought that it was so meaningless to eat by ourselves everyday and I longed for that kind of family dinner thing so much.   Perhaps it was another reason which made me wish a special celebration at my birthday with the family so much as it would compensate my long awaiting desire once a year.
 
I still remembered that I once complained Mama that both of them never cared about my birthday and how I wished I was regarded so specially on my birthday.   She was speechless by then.  But she tried to put the effort to make some sort of celebration at home on my birthdays starting from then such as offering the food and fruits to Buddha, making one my favorites Burmese dessert, "Shwe Yin Aye" or "Mot Lat Saung" (which is very similar to Chendol in Singapore and Malaysia) or "Kyauk Kyaw" (coconut agar agar) and so on.    It was much better than nothing but still it was not what I had desired. 

It really reminds me of Mama's home-made yummy "Shwe Yin Aye" by the way. 

Yes, I really admit that I wanted so much the birthday party with the cake.  I could not deny that when I saw a kid with tons of birthday presents I envy them so much.  But as I grew older, what I desire more about the birthday is that it should be a family event which all members get together and show the care to the birthday girl or the birthday boy and make them feel special on this day.   If I have to pick a special day to celebrate with the family or loved ones then I thought that it should be our birthdays.

So, when I started dating with him, I celebrated his birthdays in the same way which I always dream of.  Every year, I order a birthday cake, blow the candles with him, buy a secret or non-secret special birthday presents for him, have the birthday fiesta at the fine dining restaurants.  He actually is not so much into the birthday celebration but he always silently follows all my arrangements and plans.  Anyway, I know that he appreciates them and feels so happy since I let him feel so special on his birthdays. 

As for him, what he believes is that no special celebration is required on birthdays as long as we treat each other so nice and special everyday.  On my birthdays, he always indulges me by letting me do anything I want and makes me feel so happy and special.  Well, he's always good to me but he is usually more careful on my birthdays to make sure that I'm not unhappy or disappoint for any reason.  But I don't get a lot of cakes on my birthdays though, just because he's not a cake person.  Well, I guess that I don't mind it anymore for having no cake on my birthdays. It's well enough that he makes me feel so happy and special on my birthdays. 

But for the celebration of my loved ones' birthdays, I still feel that birthday cake is a symbol of a birthday so it's a must.  It's such a pity that I never got a chance to celebrate Papa and Mama's birthdays with the cake and made them feel so special on their birthdays.  I once told about my idea to them when we were together in Singapore and Mama got so excited.  Well, who can resist the care and love from their own kids? Unfortunately, every time when they got to Singapore, their birthdays have already been passed and I didn't get a chance to have one for them.  What's a shame!

Just like that, I make the birthday celebration as our family tradition.  Every year, I got a birthday cake and have a small party at home as the celebration for birthdays of each of them.  We usually go out to the restaurants as a part of the celebration as well.  On Sophie's 2nd birthday, we had it at her preschool to celebrate it together with her teachers and friends.  On her 4th birthday, she wanted a party so we threw one for her.  I kind of hesitated at the beginning but it was one of my childhood dreams I ever wanted and I decided to make it happen for her if not for me.  Well, it's me who still could not totally get away with the idea of celebrating big and special on birthdays I guess. 

But recently, what I really want them to understand is that the reason why we celebrate on each of us birthdays apart from all the fun, party and the celebration.  It will take a little more time for Michelle since she's still little.  But I think Sophie is getting there. 

On my recent birthday, they both kissed me from one at a side.  When they said "Happy birthday, Mama!  And I love you!", I felt it was one of the sweetest moments of my life.  Sophie and Daddy got the cake for me and she said that she would arrange the party for me.  Then, she managed to find the candles and she set everything up for me.  There was no words to express how pleased I felt.  In addition, she cut the heart shaped paper and color it and gave her hand crafted artwork to me as a present.  How precious it is! It's not about the value of the present I got, it's all about the heart she put in there for me.

My most recent birthday cake decorated by Sophie

When we were at Target during last weekend, she said she wanted to buy a birthday card for me.  Then, she carefully selected me a card with the music of Taylor Swift's Love Story song which was her favorite.  While she was doing it, I was not even paying attention to it at all and I was checking some other stuff around that area.  Then when I told her that not to buy it, she insisted a bit initially and then she gave up later.  But I could see that she was not quite happy with it.  On the way back home, I blamed myself for not letting her buy the card.  Then, I suddenly got an idea: I told her that if she and Michelle want to buy a card for each of my birthday, they could do it and I'll keep them in a box every year as a collection.  When they grow older and they could not be around us anymore, this will serve as the fond memories for me forever.

One is from him and one is from Sophie with her handwriting

My thoughts are evolved and changed now.  It's not a birthday cake or a celebration which matters on birthdays.  It's all about the care and love which I receive from them which matters me the most.  It does not have to be a very big or a grand party or celebration to make one happy on birthdays.  Those are just a superficial thing and they won't last long.  It's just that a bundle of how they love, care and appreciation which will last forever in my memory.  They cannot be destroyed and will serve as the fond memories to me always.  And I'm looking forward to much more such celebrations of my birthdays to come.

 Oh, my! How sweet!  One of the birthday kisses from my cutie pie :D

No comments:

Post a Comment